At International Justice Mission (IJM) we believe that we can help end slavery and violence against the poor in our lifetime, but we can’t do it alone. Ending slavery takes more than an organization, it takes a movement. Enter you.
As an Art Director, you will regularly conceptualize creative solutions that effectively communicate the IJM brand strategy and story in the form of marketing campaigns, interactive design, print collateral, films, reports and more. Through working with visual and written content organization-wide, you will help influence and innovate the way IJM communicates the work of justice to a global audience. As a person, you are energized by taking on big projects, working towards solutions and building consensus. You enjoy collaborating, ideating and working closely with other teams. IJM’s in-house creative agency supports the high volume ideation, production and implementation of US and international marketing campaigns, fundraising efforts, and branding projects.
This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, DC area and reports to the Director of Creative Services.
Concept and Design Exceptional Creative Communications
- Establish the conceptual and stylistic vision for projects and campaigns on all design solutions, including, but not limited to, branding & identity, responsive/adaptive web design, infographics and data visualization, print collateral, and video graphics
- Create inspiring, strategic, and innovative ideas while executing solid design
- Lead the creative development, design and execution of projects that include print, collateral, signage, displays, presentations, interactive and digital media
- Collaborate with copywriters to develop creative concepts and executions of assigned projects
- Participate in and lead brainstorms to generate ideas for projects and campaigns
- Ensure creative consistency and adherence to IJM’s brand identity
Partner with Internal Clients
- Interpret client needs to produce results that are on-strategy and have high visual impact
- Advise client on technical and visual recommendations
- Make presentations to internal teams.
Develop Design Staff
- Provide detailed direction and coach the design team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Advertising, Design or Graphic Arts;
- 5 years of design experience, including 1-2 years of art direction experience;
- An exceptional design portfolio that includes digital design, experiential design, social media, integrated campaigns, communication collateral, brand identity;
- Demonstrated understanding of color theory, typography, page composition, grid structures, photography and industry trends in each category;
- Understanding of brand development and how to consistently integrate brand principles through all campaign;
- Ability to anticipate team work needs, ask questions when needed, and take direction from team members;
- Ability to present and communicate ideas clearly and compellingly;
- Strong project management experience with ability to guide and design direction from concept to completion;
- Knowledge of printing processes (digital and offset) and finishing processes;
- High proficiency in industry-leading design software tools (including Adobe Creative Suite); and
- Demonstrated ability to meet demanding deadlines and manage tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith;
- Humble and resilient;
- Pursues excellence;
- Culturally aware and appreciative of difference;
- Strong service ethic;
- Innovative problem solver;
- Ability to build trust and strong partnerships with others;
- Courageous in pursuing opportunities and challenges;
- Tenacious in achieving goals; and
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Submit Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.