Executive Editor, Branded Content
Overview: C&EN Media Group
C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism from around the world of chemistry, including recent advances in research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline, and is widely considered one of the major benefits of membership. C&EN’s weekly print magazine reaches approximately 157,000 members of ACS and its daily website receives more than 7 million page views per year.
C&EN’s Media group offers a wide range of custom publishing services including webinars, whitepapers, and other lead generation programs as well as print and digital native advertising solutions through its new BrandLab. It offers clients the opportunity to direct their brand story to C&EN’s powerful audience of scientific buyers as well as the 25 million scientists who visit ACS’s more than 50 research journals each year. A portion of the C&EN Media group resides within the Sales, Marketing & Digital Strategy Department, responsible for developing marketing strategies and implementing sales programs for all of the ACS Publications Division’s product lines.
ACS Publications is searching for a Executive Editor, Branded Content to lead custom publishing projects in support of ACS Journals and C&EN, from commissioning, concept and pitch development, through editorial stages to delivery to the customer. We are looking for someone with a proven track record creating on-brand editorial that engages, informs, and entertains the audience. These may range from multipage conceptual white papers to editorial content and production management of tradeshow guides and advertorials. The ideal candidate can envision the future of our branded content operation and develop strategies to scale it effectively.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing with a dotted line to C&EN’s Editorial Director, s/he will be responsible for developing content and distribution strategies for all C&EN Media group custom publishing products, including native advertising on all platforms, white papers, webinar materials, social campaigns, and onsite publications. The Senior Product Manager, Branded Content Development will assist in pitching ideas and liaise with customers, working closely with the Manager, Advertising Sales & Marketing. Key to the position is the ability to create, develop and adapt projects to meet the commercial needs of specific global markets and customers. We’re looking for someone who has a keen eye for story and is passionate about creating great content for the print, digital, and social space. S/he is also committed to ensuring that C&EN Media group custom publishing products match the high standards of accuracy and quality that C&EN readers, ACS members, and advertisers expect from the brand.
This role will focus on writing creative proposals for custom multimedia native advertising programs, working with members of Sales, Production and Design teams to develop and articulate ideas for industry-leading branded content campaigns. The Senior Product Manager, Branded Content Development will direct the branded content team and freelancers in the pitch, creation, execution, and effectiveness across all campaigns, ensuring that each campaign is impactful and authentic to both brand and reader. The ideal candidate is a personable and adept team player and networker, comfortable working closely with advertising clients and researchers as well as production, design, and marketing staff.
Required Skills/Position Accountabilities:
- Conceive, research and write pitches and proposals for concepts that meet client and market needs and position ACS as a leader in innovative native advertising solutions. Ensure that editorial content and design meet quality standards and expectations set by senior management in a collaborative manner.
- Collaborate with Manager, Advertising Sales and the C&EN Editorial team to develop editorial calendars for multiple media products and develop on time editorial plans and schedules. Creatively identify market opportunities and voids in content.
- Supported by a Branded Content Editor, manages a team of external writers and content specialists to ensure print and digital content delivers the desired message to the designated audience. Manage projects with financial controls adhering to approved budgets and process. Maintain reporting and timeline status schedules for projects.
- Inform clients on branded content best practices assess program objectives and provide insights and recommendations. Stay up-to-date on content marketing and native advertising trends and competitors’ programs. Write long- and short- form content as needed.
- Support the Advertising Sales team by providing input and guidance on client proposals. Collaborate with internal marketing and creative personnel and engage external support as needed.
A bachelor’s degree in a science-related discipline or in journalism, communications, English, or a related field. A minimum of 7 years of science writing and publishing experience. Demonstrated ability to conceive and execute customer-facing projects that are engaging, authentic, and shareable. Familiarity with scientific/technical terms and the ability to comprehend research and academic writing and “translate” it for different audiences. Ability to conceive and describe program elements such as articles, interactive infographics, personal profiles, social media campaigns and live action, motion graphic and 360º video. Ability to explain multiple facets of an idea, from what it is and what it will look like to what the reader experience will be and why it will effectively deliver on the client’s goal. Proven skill in assigning, editing, and creating digital news, features, and multimedia. Knowledge of SEO and social media best practices. Experience with sales and across both journalism and advertising/marketing a plus.
Please submit resume, cover letter and 3 examples of work that best displays your scientific storytelling skills across print/digital formats.