Job Title: Creative Director
Dept/Location: Marketing & Communications/Baltimore
Reports To: Vice President of Marketing & Communications
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Bold, innovative and trailblazing, the Creative Director helps their team achieve the highest level of creativity across design, content and digital initiatives and collaborate with other departments to bring complex ideas to fruition. This includes overseeing the development, execution and stewardship of the Catholic Relief Services creative brand around the world. The Creative Director is responsible for the visual and messaging expression of the CRS brand and is instrumental in building and maintaining brand integrity through consistent creative direction, design and photography across all donor and supporter touch points.
The role is responsible for building and leading the in-house creative team of designers, multi-media experts and multi-cultural storytellers as well as approved freelancers. It also includes cultivating a creative culture, a commitment to and passion for collaboration and creativity; and the talent to inspire their team to produce fresh, compelling and creative output that adds to the CRS constituent experience and helps to build the CRS brand value proposition.
Reporting to the VP of Marketing and Communications, the Creative Director partners with the digital, communications, production and integrated marketing teams, and works with CRS colleagues around the world to provide strategic creative concepts that influence, increase and elevate the brand for our donors, internal partners and supporters.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a seasoned and entrepreneurial creative expert who has deep experience with design marketing to join a successful organization at a critical time of growth.
- Provide creative leadership for CRS, especially the Marketing & Communications department.
- Provide creative direction for all projects undertaken by external agencies while ensuring projects are delivered accurately and on time.
- Design and develop creative executions as needed for various marketing projects and campaigns.
- Liaise with other department leads to understand, lead and secure creative and graphic consistency for various marketing and communications initiatives as well as drive future concepts for seasonal brand creative.
- Lead and participate in creative brainstorming sessions with fellow designers and other department leads.
- Plan and manage processes and practices to ensure that creative projects are aligned with brand business goals and objectives.
- Lead team to determine cost-savings opportunities and implement appropriate changes.
- Lead, inspire and develop team reporting to the position.
- Provide quality control over concepts and projects.
- Uphold our Catholic identity and Catholic Social Teaching throughout all of our creative work.
Agency-wide Competencies (for All CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Three direct reports
Key Working Relationships
Internal: Executive Office, Production Unit, Digital Unit, Advertising, Market Research, Video and Photo, Production, Communications, Integrated Marketing, Charitable Giving, Overseas Operations, Mission and Mobilization.
External: CRS donors and supporters, creative freelancers and vendors.
- Bachelor's degree in design, communications, marketing and/or advertising. Candidates with a degree in other disciplines with a proven relevant professional record will be accepted.
- Minimum 5 -- 10 years of experience in design and creative brand marketing, with a minimum ten years of management experience
- Minimum three to five years of specific creative design experience at a nonprofit, preferably with focus on international humanitarian relief and development.
- Proven success in building and maintaining world-class brand design and implementing effective marketing creative with measurable results.
- Experience with complex graphic and production tools and technology, such as Adobe Creative Suite. Commitment to stay current in a rapidly changing field.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-performing, and dynamic environment that values excellence, intelligence, and feedback.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, use independent judgment and follow-through with minimal supervision.
- Superior people and project management capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effectiveness in team process, organization and time management.
- Experience with the development and overseeing of budgets.
- Highly organized with an extraordinary ability to implement plans and ensure their completion, meeting very strict deadlines.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.
- Experience leading large creative teams.
Normal office working environment
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Note: All candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. at the time of application.