Edelman is a leading global communications and marketing firm that partners with many of the world’s largest and most exciting, emerging businesses and organizations, helping them evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Our success comes from our smart, passionate and curious people, who tell great stories and solve complex business problems day in and day out.
Edelman is seeking an exceptional, confident leader to oversee its 225+ person Seattle & Portland offices. The General Manager of the Pacific Northwest will bring inspiration, vision and strategic focus to the business, ensuring Edelman’s success in the market.
The Pacific Northwest is a dynamic region within the Edelman network and has experienced significant growth in the last few years.
This key leadership role will report directly to the Western Region President. There is a robust team manging various client portfolios and specialty offerings across digital, creative, corporate and public affairs, technology and brand. The GM will partner and lead this incredible team by creating a clear strategic vision to identify strong new growth opportunities, both organically and through new business, while ensuring the effective delivery of the local market goals and objectives. This is an opportunity for an exceptional, astute leader who will also drive and inspire Edelman’s continued pursuit of excellence to our clients.
The scope of the General Manager position will consist of three key areas:
- Culture, People, and Operational Leadership - Leads, mentors and inspires a large, diverse office with an eye towards skills development, collaboration and inclusion. Secures sustainable and profitable P&L growth.
- Client Account work – Provide exemplary senior counsel to clients, support others as needed with client issues as they arise and assist with the organic growth of existing client work.
- New business and Marketing efforts – Serving as a tenacious Edelman ambassador, ensures a constant new business pipeline by pursuing opportunities with potential clients. Also thinks creatively about new and innovative ways to position Edelman in the marketplace and stays abreast of rapidly evolving developments in communications and marketing.
- Leverage the Pacific Northwest’s geographic location and entrepreneurial spirit to create innovative solutions with clients that both reinforce Edelman’s reputation in the market as an ideal partner for strategies that have material commercial impact and amplify the region’s standing as a trendsetter within the agency.
- Operational responsibility for the overall Pacific Northwest business.
- Drive employee engagement and will be responsible for leading an overall headcount and team of 225+ people.
- Drive growth organically and through new business, with specific focus on significantly growing the Digital, Corporate and Public Affairs, Brand and Technology sectors, both locally and through the wider network.
- Provide high-level counsel to top-tier clients, while leading and mobilizing an internal team around client needs.
- Drive cross-office and cross-practice collaboration to ensure clients have access to the best people and services, collaborating closely with other leaders throughout the Edelman network as necessary.
- Lead and coach the senior management team to ensure that they are fully empowered to fulfil and execute their roles, and able to support and inspire their teams.
- Identify and attract talent across all levels; retain and develop key employees through mentoring, motivation, feedback and learning opportunities.
The ideal candidate for this position should be an inspirational and charismatic leader of people with a track record for building and directing high-performing teams. The ideal candidate will be dynamic and energetic, smart and thoughtful, hard-working and confident presenting in front of others. He/she will also be passionate about following innovations in the communications and marketing industry and bringing new capabilities to Edelman’s portfolio.
Appropriate candidates for the job will have:
Business Acumen – The operational know-how to run and grow a complex region on a global platform.
Leadership Skills – The talent and authenticity to inspire a team along with the ability to make tough decisions when necessary. Likewise, the ability to forge alliances throughout the network and bring a practical, problem-solving perspective to executive decisions, office situations and client matters.
Subject Matter Expertise – Depth in at least several key elements of the Edelman offering, along with an understanding/appreciation of other disciplines and of how they can come together to form unique offerings. A demonstrated track record of transformational business change.
Organizational Creativity – A builder and an innovator who will realize the possibilities of a multi-discipline environment with industry practices, functional practices and evolving centers of excellence.
Credibility with the C-Suite– The reputation and presence to counsel executive leaders with a diverse network of connections.
Empowerment Skills – Ensures work and relationships are founded on open and honest communications and upholds, creative, ethical and legal standards.