McDaniel College, recognized nationally among "Colleges that Change Lives" and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study , including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs .
McDaniel College invites applications for a Public Relations Coordinator. Salary for this full-time, 12-month position is commensurate with qualifications and experience. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement accounts with employer match, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave. Visit College website for details.
Working as a member of the Marketing and Communications Office, the Public Relations Coordinator is responsible for implementing public relations strategies and initiatives for McDaniel College to ensure that the college meets its goals and objectives aimed at enhancing its reputation. An expert relationship-builder and persuasive communicator, the public relations coordinator will possess the political agility to professionally represent the college in a variety of circumstances, in person and in writing. Under the direction of the Director of Public Relations, the public relations coordinator will partner with senior leadership across the college to develop communication, with a particular focus on written communication that will be distributed to campus constituents. He/she will identify and develop opportunities for media placements, and use his/her skills to improve the profile of the college while providing superior messaging and communication support to on-campus leaders.
- Write news media releases and disseminate through appropriate news media channels. Develop positive relationships with media contacts to improve media coverage. Assist Director of Public Relations in investigating and replying to news media inquiries;
- Produce talking points, speeches, PowerPoint presentations, columns and written communications for members of the leadership team as needed;
- Develop plans for promotion of college rankings, new degrees, announcements, and other college news;
- Help identify, plan, research, coordinate, produce, edit, proof and post digital and print content for the college, including paid ad placements. Assist with coordination of photography and video content;
- Collaborate closely with college and faculty leaders to help build reputation;
- Support senior leaders for media interviews, writing projects, and other public relations-related issues;
- Support college-wide and campus events through the creation, coordination, production and proofing of event-related digital and print communications needs;
- Support in addressing needs/efforts regarding internal and external communications, including communication planning and timelines under the direction of the Director of Public Relations;
- Assist with planning, coordination and day-of execution for select college events. Day-of duties would entail: arriving early to venue, transporting or arranging the transport of supplies from the office to the venue and back, assisting with setup, helping with coordination tasks during the event and assisting with breakdown;
- Participate in crisis communication planning and execution;
- Assists in development and distribution of event and program promotion/recruitment materials to generate media coverage and drive registrations/applications;
- Proactively writes press releases and op-ed pieces and pitch these pieces to news outlets;
- Develops and implements a plan for maintaining up to date database records for various audiences including press, elected officials, program participants and others;
- Support institutional social media accounts, including posting regularly and reporting as needed;
- Track and analyze media coverage.
For a complete job description including qualifications and to apply, please visit the college's employment webpage. Completed applications must include a cover letter addressing position qualifications and related experience, resume, three writing samples, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Review of applications begins Friday, May 31, 2019.
McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status or any other legally protected status.