Corporate Communications Supervisor
At Horizon Media, the Corporate Communications Supervisor is second in charge in our agency's corporate communications team, providing assistance in further building the agency's reputation externally while also helping to coordinate internal communications across the New York, Los Angeles and Toronto offices.
Responsible for helping to execute against the agency’s PR strategy, this candidate has proven skill and at least three plus years’ of experience in communications, including public relations, internal communications and social media, and uses this knowledge to think creatively about solutions to communications goals. The corporate communications Supervisor is a relationship-builder, internally and externally, both online and offline, while also being adept at quickly conducting research and providing ideas to sustain a continual pipeline of media coverage and speaking engagements.
This individual reports directly to Stephen Hall, Chief marketing officer.
Primary Communications Objectives: 35%
• Help the CMO to execute a communications strategy for the agency that supports and is consistent with the strategic direction for the company
• Leads the charge and is the knowledge hub for case studies and ensures that the agency’s database for award submissions, weheartawards.com, is consistently up to date with our latest great work
• Leads the award entries for the NY and Toronto offices ensuring that top work is entered into important award shows, while assisting the LA office with award submissions and gentle reminders
• Ensures that our leadership has up to date headshots on file, and schedules headshots for those that need new visuals
External/Public Relations Responsibilities: 35%
• Leads the drafting press releases, pitching stories to press, writing, producing, and submitting awards, and nominating notable employees for awards
• Has established relationships with target media to deliver stories about Horizon Media, its perspectives, clients and successes
• Feels comfortable taking a reporter to lunch for a meet and greet to build new relationships as new reporters join target publications
• Identify stories that demonstrate Horizon’s thought leadership and culture and hooks for stories to disseminate to trade and non-trade media, social media, employees, clients, and new business prospects
• Identify speaking opportunities and other profile activities (e.g., organizations/board memberships) for our senior executives and identified talent
• Utilize the proprietary Horizon Finger on the Pulse survey and Horizon Media studies to generate positive PR opportunities promoting thought leadership
• Submit nominations for Horizon Employees to receive external recognition
Internal/Owned Media Communications Responsibilities 30%
• Lead internal communications, including drafting employee/client email copy for announcements
• Assist New Business team with pitches and business development projects as needed, including
1. Project management and creative direction on video projects
2. Writing and editing bios and other written material needed for pitches
3. Collecting and editing case studies as needed for RFP’s and RFI’s
• Oversee the internal communications newsletters for the agency including:
1. Client Newsletters and video updates
2. Other department newsletters such as:
Multicultural Newsletter, etc
• Update social platforms with news, press mentions, updates and additional content approved by Stephen Hall. Properties currently include:
2. Twitter: HorizonMediaInc Handle
3. LinkedIn: Horizon Media company page
4. Facebook: Horizon Media company page
5. Instagram: Horizon Media company page
• Suggest and brainstorm interesting methods for communicating what differentiates Horizon from its competitors: brand videos, video case studies, sponsorships, event speakers, publishing, client testimonials, etc.
• Lead communications liaison for executing various internal events to promote shared culture
• Write and manage the communications status document and awards calendar, keeping it current for each daily status meeting with the CMO
• Daily contact with CMO for latest updates and new projects
• Daily contact with employees and senior management within the agency to gain information required to draft content for distribution such as a press release or an award entry.
• Weekly contact with HR and Events Managers to ensure that all Horizon events and activities are being planned properly and that the communications department is aware of new PR opportunities
• Daily contact with trade and non-trade reporters, industry partners, trade associations and award show organizers.
• Regular contact with external vendors such as printers for event materials, etc
• Regular contact with award show organizers and gala event teams to ensure celebratory events are attended and tables are purchased
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Writes well for a variety of platforms – from press releases and senior leadership messages, to blog entries and 140-character social media posts
- Is responsible for elevating external visibility of the agency and our thought leaders via submissions for speaking engagements, industry honors, editorial opportunities, etc.
- Establishes and grows relationships with key members of the industry and business press and other industry influencers
- Maintains relationships with key agency leaders and team members to drive agency news and reputation
- Oversees the planning and execution of internal and external events
- Provides assistance in locating assets such as press releases and video case studies for new business efforts
• Three plus years’ of experience working for a communications/PR department in-house at a media, creative, social or marketing agency
• Degree in English, communications, marketing or journalism