Chief Marketing Officer
Statement of Duties
The Chief Marketing Officer leads the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the marketing function of the Commerce Corporation. The purpose of this role is to market Rhode Island to a broad audience as a destination for tourism and commerce, attracting transient, corporate and group travel, as well as new job-creating businesses to Rhode Island.
Strategic Marketing for Tourism and Business Attraction
- Market tourism and business attraction opportunities to a broad audience and engage diverse stakeholders.
- Represent Rhode Island as the state’s top tourism official.
- Strengthen Rhode Island as an attractive location for companies.
- Manage the marketing, advertising, and promotion programs related to the Commerce Corporation’s products
and services, including the production of collateral material with creative design and messaging.
- Continue to establish Rhode Island as a destination of choice for both leisure and corporate travelers.
- Ensure engagement with stakeholders and the public on key marketing initiatives.
Leadership of Direct Marketing Team
- Provide leadership to the marketing team and marketing’s interface with the various business units of the Commerce Corporation.
- Foster a high-performing, well-integrated, collaborative and respected team that furthers the Commerce Corporation’s strategy.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws, including training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- Drive operational excellence across the marketing function, assuring adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements.
Brand Management for Corporation
- Develop and implement in accordance with branding strategies and guidelines.
- Ensure the Commerce Corporation’s brand, capabilities, and expertise are effectively safeguarded, enhanced, communicated, and clearly understood in the marketplace.
- Build and leverage the Commerce Corporation’s digital presence for web, mobile, video and social media.
- Ensure quality control in the production of digital and print materials; implement systems to ensure quality product across the board.
Market Research and Data Analytics
- Identify market potentials and data analytics by leading market and customer research.
- Guide the Commerce Corporation in collection and communication of best practices and the utilization of tools and systems to document, communicate, measure, and monitor marketing performance and ROI, managing through data.
- Creativity: Generates new approaches to problems or innovations to established best practices. Shows imagination
- Resourcefulness: Passionately finds ways over, around or through barriers to success. Achieves results. Goes beyond the call of duty. Shows bias for action. A results-oriented "doer."
- Oral Communications: Communicates well one-on-one, in small groups and in public. Is fluent, quick on feet, with a command of language. Keeps people informed.
- Team Building: Achieves cohesive, effective team spirit with staff. Treats staff fairly. Shares credit.
- Vision: Provides clear, credible vision and strategy.
- Drive: Exhibits energy, strong desire to achieve, high dedication level.
- Management: Possesses strong management skills.
- Relevant professional experience or demonstrated high level of success in tourism, destination marketing, business attraction, and/or economic development, displaying progression in role responsibility.
- A bachelor’s degree is required and experience in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field of study is preferred. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Experience with event production and/or promotion would be valued.
- Innovative problem solver with demonstrated experience leading change within an organization.
- Strategic thinker with experience translating a vision into operational strategies, including successful implementation.
- Thorough knowledge of marketing and sales principles with demonstrated track record of success and performance.
- Skilled manager with experience managing business, non-profit or government operations.
- Entrepreneurial thinker with a deep understanding of market dynamics.
- Advanced experience working with a variety of traditional and non-traditional marketing, communications, and sales functions.
- Highly developed verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Success in building and inspiring teams.
- Skilled in controlling expenses through effective budgeting, forecasting and financial performance review.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of Rhode Island is preferred.
Positing will remain open until January 31, 2019. Submit a cover letter along with a professional resume via e-mail, to:
Rhode Island Commerce Corporation
The RI Commerce Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer