Director, Public Relations, Social Media and Brand
The Ad Council, America's leading non-profit organization dedicated to using communications to drive social change, is seeking a candidate with strong public relations, social media and communications skills to work with members of our Public Relations/Social Media team and the integrated campaign teams to further the reach and impact of the Ad Council's campaigns and brand.
The selected candidate will lead the PR/Social teams dedicated to 6-8 national social good campaigns, and will also serve on the Branding and Thought Leadership team to support the Ad Council's overall branding efforts.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Developing and executing PR and social media plans, strategies and content for both social good campaigns and the Ad Council brand
- Managing one or more direct reports on the PR/social team
- Leading the PR and social media programs to extend the reach and impact of social good campaigns:
- Performing confidently in client-facing roles, including navigating challenges, building relationships and positioning the Ad Council as a thought leader and valued partner
- Identifying and building relationships with strategic partners across the communications industry for campaign activations (including brands, media, agencies)
- Ideating, drafting and editing press and social media materials, including strategic plans, sponsored content, blog posts and messaging for social communities
- Identifying, onboarding and managing external agencies, vendors and partners for content production, media relations, talent engagement and other types of programs
- Serving on the Ad Council's cross-functional brand team:
- Overseeing the development of materials for the Ad Council's internal and external events, such as remarks for senior leadership for board meetings, panel appearances, and other opportunities to tell the brand story
- Ideating, drafting and reviewing brand press and marketing materials, including strategic plans, newsletter stories and blog posts
- Supporting the development of the Ad Council brand and leadership social strategy and creating content (primary channels include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube)
- Analyzing Ad Council brand, campaign, issue and industry news coverage and social media content performance and creating recommendations for driving continued impact
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience conducting public relations and social media programs in-house or at an agency
- Experience developing and managing teams
- Passionate about social good and philanthropy
- Thought leadership and branding experience preferred
- Excellent writer – can adjust copy to various mediums/audiences
- Social Media marketing savvy – fluency with platforms beyond Facebook and Twitter
- Extraordinary verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented
- Team player who works well with others
The Ad Council is where creativity and causes converge at scale. We are a New York-based national non-profit organization, bringing together the brightest minds in the marketing, media, advertising and tech industries to create change around the most critical social issues facing our country. The Ad Council initiates, produces and activates communications campaigns that drive awareness and behavior change, creating a lasting impact on American life. We produce content that ignites new ideas, increases the health, education, and safety of our nation, and literally saves lives.
We are behind the iconic social good communications programs featuring Smokey Bear, “Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk” and the viral campaign “Love Has No Labels” that celebrates diversity and promotes inclusion. We work hand in hand with the leading non-profit organizations, government agencies, corporate brands and media companies to develop over 40 national social good campaigns each year including Suicide Prevention, Gun Safety, Bullying Prevention, STEM for Girls, Pet Adoption and Texting and Driving Prevention.
The Ad Council team uses all the tools in the communications arsenal including developing PSAs and social media content, engaging talent, gaming, conducting media relations and grassroots marketing, and creating chat bots, digital and live events to raise awareness around social causes. We also have the opportunity to work with Board of Directors companies such as Amazon, Facebook, Google/YouTube, Snap, Pandora and Upworthy to leverage the latest tactics, tools and platforms that will have the most significant social impact.
At the Ad Council, we value and celebrate the unique characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity is the foundation of our work and allows us to reimagine how we reach our audiences. It is not simply our belief, but our duty, to cultivate a team that is representative of the American people. Only then can we drive true, measurable, and life-changing impact on the most important issues facing our country today.
The Ad Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, national origin, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected status.
To apply online: https://www.adcouncil.org/Working-With-Us/Join-Us
The Ad Council invites all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact please submit your request through one of the following methods listed below:
Fax (212) 922-1676 or
US Mail to the Advertising Council
Attn: Human Resources
815 2nd Avenue; 9th Floor
New York, NY 10017