CAUSE+EFFECT seeks super-ninja Art Director at its NYC HQ. You’re passionate about design, interested in social and cultural trends and fashion, knowledge of art, film, music, and have a breadth of knowledge of Design/CG techniques and trends.
You’re a creative problem solver and collaborator. You have the ability to work with Senior C+E team and clients to help articulate creative and design direction, then you can translate that into identity and creative that is breakthrough and compelling.
You are an energizing person, not only with your work but with your work ethic and style. You have the ability to draw people together to share in ideas, so that they feel they own it together.
You are proud of your work, but realize it really belongs to the client and the customer. You are not cynical, you are not inflexible, you are not all about your portfolio. You are about being part of something as great as you are.
The art director works directly with the CD and EP to pitch new work and execute the design/animation/composite/CG pieces of projects. You lead a small team of designers and animators and are also responsible for identifying and maintaining relationships with key freelance talent. You work closely on a daily basis with design team, producers, and editors to maintain a high level of execution, and always push to make sure each project delivers on creative expectations. You work closely with producers and EP to make sure that jobs are bid and staffed accurately and efficiently, and work with the team to make sure we stay on time and on budget. You are a key member of the company culture and strive to maintain the collaborative creative atmosphere in the office and actively work with CD and EP to define and maintain the C+E brand in the marketplace.
• Directing the design department so that the environment, culture, team, capabilities, tools, processes, expectations, work style and other elements support the strategic goals and brand of CAUSE+EFFECT
• Ensuring that the design department operates in an efficient, profitable manner
• Ensuring that our design product remains leading edge and ahead of our competition
• Ensuring that our high quality of creative and production is upheld, maintaining
consistently high standards for him/herself and others on the team
• Listening, asking, hearing, prioritizing and translating client situation, marketing goals and information into strategic design concepts
• Collaborating and contributing to the creative process as a leader of a design team, and as a member of the company
• Ensuring the professional development and readiness of the design team
- Work collaboratively with partners, participate in company strategizing, and make
- recommendations for changes to the creative to meet market changes,
- competitive threats or to support strategic plans.
- Understand C+E’s strategic goals and brand; analyze the design/animation team, environment, processes, technologies, etc., to determine areas needing improvement; and build and direct a creative function aligned with and supportive of those goals.
- Make decisions on a daily basis that ensure artistic & creative quality.
- Set expectations and standards (build a culture) for design team attitude, behavior, teamwork and professional development. Lead accordingly.
- Work within C+E’s Employee Handbook and ethical standards and ensure the design team knows and follows those standards.
- Direct the activities and professional development of design team members, including participate in staff reviews, taking corrective actions and recommending promotions.
- Study the creative marketplace, assessing where C+E’s work stands against competitors’, as well as our clients’ competitors’ creative work.
- Drive constant improvement in C+E’s creative quality and capabilities.
- Work with the account lead, executive producers and principals to assure that internal and client presentations are on time, professional, engaging, persuasive and supported by a sound rationale.
- Contribute to the strategic and creative development of the agency’s marketing andbranding efforts for new business development.
- Managing outside resources, including vendors & freelancers
- Managing art direction, design, of projects
- Preparing and justifying job estimates
- Quality control, including reviewing, measuring and evaluating staff performance, creative output and project process(es).
- Continually learning, evaluating and implementing new design technologies within the agency and for client campaigns.
- Other duties as defined by partners
- Superior leadership and collaboration skills
- Superior problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellence in managing and motivating staff
- Excellent communication and persuasion skills
- Superior understanding of advertising, promotions and marketing principles
- Demonstrated talent for high-caliber design/CG
- Ability to judge design concepts and work, and clearly communicate art direction to others
- Thorough understanding of clients and their business/industry
- Excellent presentation skills
- Thorough understanding of art direction
- Excellent communication, planning, time-management and follow-through skills
- Thorough Knowledge of C4D or Maya, AE, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
Experience Level desired: 8+ years
Compensation: Salary commensurate w/ experience. ($100k-$120k)
Bonus (discretionary) / partial medical & dental / 401k / paid vacation
Policy Statement: Each employee is expected to perform the described duties, delegated duties, and all other duties, which initiative and common sense would indicate to be in the best interest of the firm and its clients. Additional duties not specifically listed in this description may be communicated and expected from employee.
EMAIL YOUR COVER LETTER, RESUME, A LINK TO YOUR REEL/PORTFOLIO AND WEBSITE DIRECTLY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not email your application directly to email@example.com, you will not be considered. Thanks!