Senior Public Relations Specialist
Role Value Proposition:
MetLife is one of the largest group auto and home insurance brands. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to make sure Americans know that and consider MetLife for their auto and home insurance needs.
We’re looking for a genuine storyteller who is adept at understanding how to craft audience-specific messages that drive action and engagement. Our new colleague will have a talent for matching what he/she hears from senior business leaders with what consumers are interested in and the ability to develop, manage and execute communication strategies that connect business with audience while being fresh, interactive and fun.
The Senior Communications Specialist is a communications professional who likes to dig deep into an organization and identify effective ways to drive external communications reaching both consumer and industry audiences. Motivated by quality work with a keen attention to detail, this individual will mine the business for stories, identifying unique competitive differences and creative ways to tell those stories and position our executives as industry thought leaders.
With a focus primarily on our MetLife Auto & Home business, which sells auto and home insurance online, through agents and through employers, the successful candidate will collaborate with peers across the communications and marketing functions and must be comfortable in fluid situations, exhibit high organizational and emotional intelligence, and demonstrate the agility needed to thrive in fast-paced environments.
Key responsibilities of the role include developing trusted relationships with leaders and partners across the organization, building strong B2C and B2B media and influencer relationships, identifying and pitching media opportunities, developing results-oriented campaigns and drafting and disseminating content that impacts its intended audience.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for media relations with an expertise in consumer communications, a knack for finding the story angle that cuts-through, the ability to influence a broad team of stakeholders and the desire to work for a company that makes a difference in people’s lives.
As a global company with operations in more than 40 countries, MetLife’s communications are more important than ever. This is an opportunity to work with a global team large enough to have varied and engaging experiences, yet small enough to make an impact and be recognized.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Develop and execute external communications programs that drive awareness of MetLife as an auto and home insurance company
- Provide advice and counsel to senior business leaders
- Identify and pitch media opportunities to mainstream and trade media
- Write and produce multi-media content that engages audiences
- Build and manage project plans for communications initiatives
- Simplify complex ideas and strategies understanding how to make them relevant
- Work effectively through shared processes with others at all levels within the organization
- Manage and deliver communication through a variety of channels using current and emerging communications technology
- Integrate with the marketing, social media and advertising teams to develop and execute holistic marketing communications campaigns
- Represent MetLife at industry events and serve as a spokesperson when necessary
- 5+ years of experience in communications and/or public relations
- 5+ years of experience working with business-to-consumer and/or business-to-business companies (or combination of the two)
- 3+ years of experience with traditional media, social media and new media channels with demonstrated results using them internally and externally to engage stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field preferred.
- Passion for media relations
- Agency experience a plus
- Experience working on consumer brands a plus
- Strong and effective writing skills
- Track record of success in executing integrated communications programs and working with other marketing disciplines
- Professional approach to working with senior level executives and providing counsel regarding media relations, media training and other relevant communications issues
- Recognized team player who willingly shares knowledge and information with others
- Sound judgment as a communications professional
- High proficiency in written and verbal communication
- Ability to explain complex concepts and make them relevant to multiple audiences
- High energy and strong work ethic
- Positive attitude and willingness to take initiative, share perspectives and make things happen