The SVP - Produce Division will be accountable for Division profit & loss performance and for implementing the strategy necessary to create intermediate and long-term value. This position will also be responsible for efforts to identify new external strategic alliances and acquisition opportunities, and will have very high visibility and interaction with the Farm Journal senior staff and CEO.
The Company has identified the Produce Division as a key growth opportunity with the potential to double in scale in 3-years through improving the core business and organic product development. The SVP will have access to Farm Journal’s strong financial resources and vast editorial and production resources, brands, and management perspectives to help this Division succeed.
These duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Strategic Leadership. The SVP will be the Company’s Produce thought-leader and expert in free and paid-content product, marketing and trends in the Produce sector. This person will bring forward and communicate Produce industry trends, plus show how the Company can adopt/leverage best-practices to exploit opportunities. As the Division’s strategic plan takes shape, the SVP will continue to refocus and refine the strategic direction and underlying initiatives, and ensure that internal stakeholders understand and support the Division’s strategic goals and needs.
- Revenue, then Operations. The SVP must be capable and comfortable driving marketing, revenue and production functions, plus balance the work required to compete and aggressively extracting revenue from the existing portfolio – to develop new product revenues – and also explore potential product and marketing/sales strategies that will propel the Division even further forward.
- Product Management and Growth. The SVP will ensure the Division’s legacy products continue to have improved function, offer better value to customers, and maintain an efficient cost structure. At the same time, the SVP will need to continue implementation of the Division’s new digital strategy pushing forward innovation, extensions and monetization schemes. If not already intimately familiar with the produce market, the SVP should eagerly and quickly get into the market to diagnose customer needs and pain points, looking for underserved segments and then lead the Division to create solutions that leverage the data, content and production prowess available. It will be important to ensure the Division maintains a clear, compelling roadmap for expanding its product portfolio.
- Talent Development. While not a startup, the Company believes this Division needs to adopt a start-up-like entrepreneurial tone to grow quickly. The SVP will orchestrate this growth by recruiting high-capacity high-innovation new hires, ensuring their proper on-boarding, plus growing intermediate managers from within whenever possible, and guiding all team members through change and expansion in their roles. The SVP will communicate the strategy to the team, knock down barriers to their success, and empower them to leverage their individual strengths.
- Finance, Budget and Reporting. Given the growth the Company seeks, the SVP will develop and closely monitor all aspects of Division’s budget and key performance indicators and will utilize dashboards and other reporting systems to monitor attainment to objectives and targets.
Qualifications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leadership of a high-growth (20+% CAGR) business or business unit, including P&L responsibility
- Direct revenue management and sales leadership
- Personal professional experience in Produce - preferred
- Proven track record in creating and managing both innovative advertising-based and paid-business-information revenues
- Proven track record in leadership of face-to-face direct selling, telesales and lead-gen-based targeted direct-marketing
- Meaningful B2B digital product sales or product development experience
- Experience penetrating a new market with a disruptive product or service
- Experience in identifying and exploiting new content-product opportunities
- Experience in creative new product development (directly or managed)
- Skilled in both strategic and quantitative business-management
- Leadership success as part of a dynamic senior management team
- Proven ability to identify and nurture talent in others
- A competitive drive and relentless focus on attaining goals