College of Journalism and Communications
Executive Director of The Agency
The University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications is looking for a leader with the vision and skills to run the next iteration of our strategic communication agency. Given access to the resources of a Top 10 public university that include extremely talented and diverse students, world-class researchers, loyal alumni and industry partners, the next director of The Agency will help us rewrite the future of strategic communication immersion experiences in higher education.
The next agency director will be a/an:
- Innovator – a visionary who thinks and acts in an entrepreneurial way and has demonstrated success in entrepreneurship.
- Collaborator – track record of bringing people with diverse backgrounds and expertise together to achieve positive results.
- Leader – humility and focus on developing student talent as part of the business model in alignment with the university's mission of teaching, research and service.
- Professional – earned credibility and high-level professional networks with a proven ability to generate revenue.
- Educator/Mentor – prior exposure to academic world via classroom teaching, guest lecturing, student mentoring, curriculum development, or advisory roles, etc.
- Tech-savvy Learner – evidence of continuous learning and relearning in response to shifting technological advances and social changes.
Key responsibilities are to:
- Create an agency model for diversity, inclusion and empowerment that serves society and industry.
- Develop and assess meaningful learning outcomes for all agency students, particularly advertising and public relations majors.
- Build and maintain partnerships with faculty in the college and across campus.
- Build a revenue base that serves to a) offset the expense base to a meaningful extent and b) affirm the business model.
- Tap university resources for vitally important areas such as creative, planning, social media, data analytics, and app and web design.
- Prospect, build and maintain relationships with clients, sponsors and donors.
- Marshal technological expertise to develop, teach and run systems for effective data science and digital communication services.
- Articulate a compelling USP for the agency's mission.
- Win and retain new business.
- Refine the agency's business model and regularly report progress to, and act on feedback from, key stakeholders, including an active advisory board.
- Mentor and teach students via direct interaction and day-to-day management of The Agency.
Applicants should have the ability to understand and communicate with people with multicultural backgrounds and demonstrate a commitment to working with diverse student and community populations and supporting a climate of inclusion with respect to race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, class, culture, and religion. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. AA/EEO employer.
Application Procedure: To view application instructions and complete an online résumé, visit www.jobs.ufl.edu. The reference number for the vacancy is 510179. Applications must include an electronic copy of the following: (1) a letter of interest; (2) complete curriculum vitae or resume; (3) names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three references. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (352) 392-4621 or the Florida Relay System at (800) 955-8771 (TDD).
Review of applications will begin March 10, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled.