Full-time Faculty Position in Advertising and Marketing Communications
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Advertising and Marketing Communications Department of the Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
An education with FIT's Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology (The School of B&T) prepares students for careers in the fashion industry and related creative fields. The curriculum and faculty integrate industry and academic expertise in markets serving the fashion industry, business environments ranging from local to global contexts, contemporary and future-focused industry technologies. The School of B&T educates students that become graduates with skill sets and industry knowledge that are immediately valuable to employers, empowering our alumni to forge successful, satisfying careers as rising professionals in the fashion and related creative fields.
The School of B&T is the nexus of business education for fashion and related creative industries, where businesses, governments, and nonprofit organizations seek alliances with our students, alumni, and faculty to build innovative solutions.
The mission of the Advertising and Marketing Communications program is to prepare students for success in careers within the marketing communications field and its related industries. The program offers education in the development of communication solutions addressing marketing problems. The program includes introduction and advanced learning in the following marketing communication disciplines: advertising, public relations, sales promotion, social media and direct marketing. The thrust of the curriculum is that of integrated marketing communication, having all elements integrate to create a more impactful and consistent message. The program emphasizes the need for students to work both individually and in teams in a mature and collegial manner. Alumni of the Advertising and Marketing Communications program enter a number of different fields validating the integrated aspects of the curriculum.
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated professional with credentials in market research and the application of the research to various department courses. In addition, to having professional ability, the candidate must demonstrate experience in teaching, training or instruction; display a passion for the field; and possess a desire to convey this excitement to students.
The ideal candidate should have international experience and be able to meaningfully relate that experience students. The candidate should have an appreciation for cultural, economic, social and political diversity since communication has to reach across numerous boundaries to be effective. The candidate should be highly organized with teaching/training preferred. By the nature of his/her industry position, critical thinking skills should be highly developed with the candidate having the ability to enhance these skills in students. The candidate should have high-level marketing communications research industry connections, that will bring the industry to the classroom through industry speakers, student networking and industry-based assignments. The candidate should have an understanding of Microsoft Office tools and knowledgeable in how these skills can be used as business and teaching tools.
The candidate must demonstrate ability and experience in teaching, training, or instruction along with the desire to inspire and mentor students. The successful candidate will teach specialty classes in the major, and will teach Advertising and Marketing Communications courses to the other majors serviced by the department. The new faculty member will be an integral part of implementing strategic goals for the Department's program, and will participate in administrative activities as necessary.
The Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The ACBSP is dedicated to improving the quality of business schools and programs globally, and promoting continuous improvement in the practice of business in every industry worldwide. The ACBSP accreditation process distinctively focuses on teaching excellence and student learning outcomes. These cornerstones, in conjunction with the alignment of curriculum in compliance with ACBSP standards, are the foundation of the Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology's accredited programs in the continual advancement of academic rigor and quality.
The successful candidate will excel in the following areas:
- Demonstrate an awareness of global issues and their impact on one's discipline, industry and profession.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of working within different global communities.
- Possess an appreciation for cultural, economic, social and political diversity since communication has to reach across numerous boundaries to be effective.
- Implement an academically rigorous and interesting experience integrating professional practice with classroom learning.
- Create learning experiences that require collaborative exercises, real-world problem solving and a skills-based approach to learning.
- Design classroom and other learning activities that foster critical thinking, problem solving, information literacy skills and creativity.
- Maintain connection(s) to industry that allow(s) integration of professional practice with classroom learning.
- Embrace new forms of pedagogy (online teaching, blended classes, experiential learning).
- Possess the ability to utilize a variety of instructional techniques to improve student learning.
- Teach students how to synthesize information to develop critical thinking skills
- Develop expertise in multiple areas over one's career as disciplines and industry change.
- Create and maintain a network of alumni and industry experts who can be called upon as resources for course and curriculum development, focus groups, guest speakers, internships and placement opportunities for students.
- Demonstrate understanding and mastery of established and emerging industry practices and their importance to FIT graduates.
- Maintain positive, helpful, supportive, respectful, collegial and team-oriented relationships with professionals.
- Model professional behavior that prepares students for entry into a profession.
- Demonstrate active engagement in the profession in appropriate scholarly and creative expression.
- Demonstrate effective use of technology and electronic information to deliver course material and learning experiences to students.
- Effectively utilize technology and electronic information to enhance one's professional productivity in the fields of communication research, industry collaboration and problem solving.
- Appropriately utilize technology to communicate with and engage students in learning outside the classroom.
Master's degree required. The ideal candidate should have 7-10 years of executive level experience with a strong international component and a proven track record of leadership and innovation. Superior oral and written communication skills and computer literacy in business and classroom applications required.
Terminal degree in advertising and/or marketing discipline and college-level teaching experience is strongly preferred
This faculty position will begin Fall 2019. Review of applications will commence November 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. The salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience.
Please note a background check is required for appointment to this position.
Online applications are encouraged.
Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position;
A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com.
More search results
Assistant Campaign Manager
Lecturer in Digital Advertising
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Assistant Professor - Media and Communication Arts
CUNY City College of New York
Assistant Professor - Advertising Digital Strateg…
Director, Growth & Engagement